The only thing that can change your life (consistent habits)
The title sounds like a click bait, but it's not. After watching countless self improvement videos, reading multiple books and applying concepts to my own life, I am realized the only thing that can change the direction of your life are your consistent habits.
Sum of past actions = Current Result
If you spent most of your life sparingly exercising (habit), you most likely are little fat (result).
If you avoided socializing with people in the past (habit), you most likely have less friends (result).
If you haven't tried controlling your thoughts in the past (habit), you most likely get easily irritated when things don't go your way.
Although our results may vary slightly from person to person, the underlying principle is simple. Cause and effort. To change the results, we need to change our consistent actions.
How to we change our consistent actions? "I have a lot that needs to be changed"
I have an answer to that. Start small, remain consistent.
Now I'm an atheist, however if I were to worship one thing, that would be MOMENTUM. The things it can do for you, are really powerful. It all comes down to making things SUSTAINABLE. We can do that by making things automatic.
For example, if you meditate just after brushing your teeth at night, that stuff becomes automatic in a few weeks. The goal initially is to gain momentum. We can do that by starting so small, that it is hard not to do. For example, meditating for 2 minutes is very easy for me. I do that for about 5-7 days, now I have the momentum on my side. I can now increase the duration to 4 or 5 minutes. Do that for another 5-7 days. You need to increase the duration, once you feel comfortable with your current level. Personally, I felt it slightly hard to meditate for 5 mins, so I did it for more than 7 days. As things get longer, you will need to slowly increase the duration (1 minute for me), or however you feel comfortable doing.
Try but don't force it (wu wei). You need to try to make the habit, but not push hard when the resistance is high. That concept has really helped me in many areas of life.
There are just my personal experience. You don't need to remember the nitty gritty details. That you can adapt and figure out on your own. What you do need to remember is that you need consistent habits that will improve your odds for success. And those are made by understanding the concept of momentum. Start small, track your progress and slowly increase the intensity. (keeping wu wei in mind).
Doing things few times, rarely changes anything.
If you go out and socialize one time, sure it changes your perspective a little. But it won't make you a social person. You need to do it more frequently, till it becomes your own indentity.
You need your life to be easier with time, and that happens through habits. Once you get into the habit of socializing, then initiating conversions becomes easier than before. That is the end goal.
Sum of past actions = Current Result
If you spent most of your life sparingly exercising (habit), you most likely are little fat (result).
If you avoided socializing with people in the past (habit), you most likely have less friends (result).
If you haven't tried controlling your thoughts in the past (habit), you most likely get easily irritated when things don't go your way.
Although our results may vary slightly from person to person, the underlying principle is simple. Cause and effort. To change the results, we need to change our consistent actions.
How to we change our consistent actions? "I have a lot that needs to be changed"
I have an answer to that. Start small, remain consistent.
Now I'm an atheist, however if I were to worship one thing, that would be MOMENTUM. The things it can do for you, are really powerful. It all comes down to making things SUSTAINABLE. We can do that by making things automatic.
For example, if you meditate just after brushing your teeth at night, that stuff becomes automatic in a few weeks. The goal initially is to gain momentum. We can do that by starting so small, that it is hard not to do. For example, meditating for 2 minutes is very easy for me. I do that for about 5-7 days, now I have the momentum on my side. I can now increase the duration to 4 or 5 minutes. Do that for another 5-7 days. You need to increase the duration, once you feel comfortable with your current level. Personally, I felt it slightly hard to meditate for 5 mins, so I did it for more than 7 days. As things get longer, you will need to slowly increase the duration (1 minute for me), or however you feel comfortable doing.
Try but don't force it (wu wei). You need to try to make the habit, but not push hard when the resistance is high. That concept has really helped me in many areas of life.
There are just my personal experience. You don't need to remember the nitty gritty details. That you can adapt and figure out on your own. What you do need to remember is that you need consistent habits that will improve your odds for success. And those are made by understanding the concept of momentum. Start small, track your progress and slowly increase the intensity. (keeping wu wei in mind).
Doing things few times, rarely changes anything.
If you go out and socialize one time, sure it changes your perspective a little. But it won't make you a social person. You need to do it more frequently, till it becomes your own indentity.
You need your life to be easier with time, and that happens through habits. Once you get into the habit of socializing, then initiating conversions becomes easier than before. That is the end goal.
Comments
Post a Comment