How to learn programming (INTENT BEHIND LEARNING)
2 steps to learning programming skills
1) Learning
2) Action
1) FOLLOW ALONG with a course
2) IMPLEMENT newly acquired skills into YOUR OWN PROJECTS
Follow ROADMAP to web developer -> What to learn
Break each technology into steps
Long effort-> break into small effort -> over period of time
Habits-> improve you
-----------------------------
People say learn by building cool things - learning will be a side effect
But I believe there has to be a some level of structure in learning the technology. That makes learning a lot more easier and pleasant.
However if we learn from a course, we don't have ideas of stuff to build (FIND IDEAS OF STUFF TO BUILD - at different checkpoints)
Or begin with an idea you want to build at the end - to know that you know the technology.
Its important to set a standard-> that by the end of the course, I want to be able to build this project using this technology.
Currently I learn technology and do nothing with it. However if I begin with the INTENT behind learning that technology in mind (this technology will help me in DOING THIS), then you will continue using it after you learn the technology.
Technology = tool-> That enables you to DO SOMETHING..
Why do we learn a skill?
To improve our capability/efficiency at performing a task.
Intent (unmet need) ---->Learn---->Meet that need
For example,
Unmet need = Feel connected with other people
Learn = Practice Social skills
Fulfill need = Connect with other people
INTENT behind learning a technology.
Before learning a technology, understand what is your INTENT for learning a technology. What will learning that technology ENABLE YOU TO DO. And then only behind learning it. Because now you are clear on the outcome you want out of it.
Example,
I want to edit content on a website = Learn HTML
I want to change color and style of content on website = Learn CSS
I want to add animations and interactivity on website = Learn JavaScript and jQuery
I want to build websites that work well across all types of devices = Learn Bootstrap
I want to organize my css code to improve readability and make changes faster = Learn SASS
I want to speed up my website--> reducing HTTP requests--> join css and js files into 1 main file--> Learn Gulp
I want to store website data for easier accessibility across different websites = Learn JSON
I want to learn how to arrange my website items easily based on device dimensions = Learn flexbox, CSS Grid
1) Learning
2) Action
1) FOLLOW ALONG with a course
2) IMPLEMENT newly acquired skills into YOUR OWN PROJECTS
Follow ROADMAP to web developer -> What to learn
Break each technology into steps
Long effort-> break into small effort -> over period of time
Habits-> improve you
-----------------------------
People say learn by building cool things - learning will be a side effect
But I believe there has to be a some level of structure in learning the technology. That makes learning a lot more easier and pleasant.
However if we learn from a course, we don't have ideas of stuff to build (FIND IDEAS OF STUFF TO BUILD - at different checkpoints)
Or begin with an idea you want to build at the end - to know that you know the technology.
Its important to set a standard-> that by the end of the course, I want to be able to build this project using this technology.
Currently I learn technology and do nothing with it. However if I begin with the INTENT behind learning that technology in mind (this technology will help me in DOING THIS), then you will continue using it after you learn the technology.
Technology = tool-> That enables you to DO SOMETHING..
Why do we learn a skill?
To improve our capability/efficiency at performing a task.
Intent (unmet need) ---->Learn---->Meet that need
For example,
Unmet need = Feel connected with other people
Learn = Practice Social skills
Fulfill need = Connect with other people
INTENT behind learning a technology.
Before learning a technology, understand what is your INTENT for learning a technology. What will learning that technology ENABLE YOU TO DO. And then only behind learning it. Because now you are clear on the outcome you want out of it.
Example,
I want to edit content on a website = Learn HTML
I want to change color and style of content on website = Learn CSS
I want to add animations and interactivity on website = Learn JavaScript and jQuery
I want to build websites that work well across all types of devices = Learn Bootstrap
I want to organize my css code to improve readability and make changes faster = Learn SASS
I want to speed up my website--> reducing HTTP requests--> join css and js files into 1 main file--> Learn Gulp
I want to store website data for easier accessibility across different websites = Learn JSON
I want to learn how to arrange my website items easily based on device dimensions = Learn flexbox, CSS Grid
Comments
Post a Comment